By John Dececco Phd, Sonya L Jones
Look at how narrative has formed homosexual and lesbian cultureA Sea of news: The Shaping energy of Narrative in homosexual and Lesbian Cultures: A Festschrift for John P. De Cecco is an unforgettable number of own narratives that explores the old, mental, and sociological contexts of homosexuality in destinations starting from Nazi Germany to Colorado. a number of the fashionable authors during this assortment contain David Bergman, Louis group, Diana Hume George, and Ruth Vanita. students in homosexual and lesbian stories, political activities, cultural reports, and narratology, and someone attracted to homosexual heritage probably want to discover those exciting narratives on themes corresponding to intercourse and sin within the South, promoting homosexual literature earlier than Stonewall, transforming into up homosexual in India, and the tale of an interracial male couple dealing with homophobic lack of knowledge in a small town.A Sea of news additionally comprises artistic fiction and nonfiction love tales, struggle tales, oral tales, and bibliographies, and a gorgeous post-Stonewell and post-modern narrative set on a South African seascape that tells the tale of 2 expert males and the opportunity of a kiss. for an entire checklist of contents, please stopover at our website at www.haworthpressinc.com.This publication provides you with a number of narratives that conceal a variety, together with:
- memoirs of homosexual Holocaust survivors and the emergence of the 1st lesbian and homosexual booklet membership in its wake
- homophobia within the office and using coming-out tales to reinforce office range
- the institution of a gay/straight alliance in a Salt Lake urban highschool that's seriously ruled by way of Mormons
- gay literary historical past that examines the works of Langston Hughes in addition to Martin Duberman, Paul Monette, and Edmund White when it comes to the lesbian 70s
- creative nonfiction a couple of woman's love for an additional lady, her lifelong pal
- Provincetown's extraordinary group reaction to the AIDS epidemicA number of chapters written by way of the colleagues and previous scholars of John P. De Cecco, pioneering editor of the magazine of Homosexuality, A Sea of reports takes its identify from a word Dr. De Cecco utilized in his keynote tackle to the “History and reminiscence” convention at Allegheny university in 1997. This convention sparked the assumption for this number of essays that study the gay event via old, mental, and sociological viewpoints and homosexuality in literature. those brave tales will help readers to grasp themselves extra deeply, to spot wih others, and to interpret homosexual and lesbian stories in numerous narrative varieties.
Read or Download A Sea of Stories: The Shaping Power of Narrative in Gay and Lesbian Cultures PDF
Best gay & lesbian books
From the start of the homosexual Liberation in the course of the upward push of the AIDS Coalition to unharness energy (ACT UP) in 1987, the worldwide justice stream in 1994, the most important day of antiwar protest in global historical past in February 2003, the Republican nationwide conference protests in August 2004, and the big immigrant rights rallies within the spring of 2006, the streets of towns worldwide were jam-packed with a brand new theatrical version of protest.
Having lately authored some of the most major books, funds, Myths and alter, during this intriguing zone of economics, Lee Badgett has now teamed up with Jeff Frank and a set of foreign members to supply an research of sexual orientation discrimination on a world scale.
This publication offers a step through step illumination of the intricacy, "logic," and value of 1 of Nietzsche's richest and most intricate works. In a transparent and obtainable demeanour the writer explains the interconnectedness of The homosexual Sciences probably unrelated sections. all through she offers severe observation, heritage details, and translation corrections.
Being condemned to slavery is a standard sufficient incidence at the barren region planet of Livre, yet this time, priest Shan Polli is decided to avoid the corrupt, soul-eating procedure from destroying another existence. Temar Grazer used to be sentenced for what amounted to a legal prank-but Shan quickly unearths that the hazards expand some distance past Temar's crime.
- History of Homosexuality in Europe, 1919-1939
- English Literary Sexology: Translations of Inversion, 1860-1930 (Palgrave Studies in Nineteenth-Century Writing and Culture)
Extra info for A Sea of Stories: The Shaping Power of Narrative in Gay and Lesbian Cultures
Is it not surprising if not at times embarrassing to those of us who embarked in the late 1970s—with a delicious, Foucauldian sense of irony and iconoclasm—on the task of "deconstructing" the homosexual, to face now the dreadful prospect of having homosexuals, those we sought so desperately to represent and defend, vanish from our scholarly radar screens? Does even a simple, commonsense conception of being a homosexual survive? One answer to our dilemma is to adopt the position of the philosophical eliminativists, abandon the whole discourse, and simply 19 Apologia Pro Gay and Lesbian Studies assert that there is no truth to be known about homosexuality in the terms with which we currently think (Stich, 1996).
Author Richard Plant published an informative general account in 1986, a few years after Frank Rector's (1981) unscholarly, frequently flippant, book. " Martin Sherman's 1979 play Bent, which in 1997 was turned into a movie by the same name, focused on the pride, dignity, and survival skills of two gay men in a concentration camp. Burkhard Jellonnek's (1990) Homosexuelle unter dem Hakenkreuz (Homosexuals Under the Swastika), recounts the persecution of homosexuals throughout the Reich as well as in several smaller German cities.
The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich. New York: Simon & Schuster, 1960. 42 A SEA OF STORIES Sparing, Frank. . wegen Vergehen nach §175 verhaftet: Die Verfolgung der Düsseldorfer Homosexuellen während des Nationalsozialismus. Düsseldorf: Grupello Verlag, 1997. Steakley, James. The Homosexual Emancipation Movement in Germany. Salem, N H : Ayer, 1982. Tielman, Rob. The Persecution of Homosexuals in the Netherlands During the Second World War. Los Angeles: Urania Manuscripts, 1979. van Dijk, Lutz.